Sunday, August 21, 2005

Latest read

Went to the bookstore recently with my wife and managed to pick up two books that I don't know if I'll have the time to finish but got it anyways. Go figure - Borders had a sale :)

So ended up picking up a biography of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernov. So far so good, though I still find John Marshall, Definer of a Nation by Jean Edward Smith to be crisper and better written.

Also began reading economist and UN adviser Jeffrey Sachs' book, The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Times; as one who has a keen interest in development economics, this book was a must read, though the first couple chapters has been a rehash for me so far. The foreword by Bono was a bit odd but I suppose it does help the book appeal to a broader audience.

I've also been soaking up a number of interesting white papers on .NET Development. For those of you who do web application development, are intersted in the forthcoming ASP.NET v2 and related security best practices, may want to check out Security Guidelines: ASP.NET 2.0 published by folks from Microsoft's Patterns and Practices group. They did a fantastic job.